Thursday, June 10, 2004

How would the end look like to you?

I had a warm conversation with a friend the other night over my supper time. The story goes as I am writing.
While I was eating my supper, we were conversion about reaching higher level of consciousness that he asked me the following question. Imagine you are over 80 some years old. You think your hear is beating as strong as before, and still ambitious as in your 20s. The phone rings, it is a call from hospital. It is your hospital. They enquire about you, and they ask you to rend them a visit as soon as possible.
When at hospital, the doctor mentions to you that you have to stay in the hospital for the rest of your living years. You need constant heart monitoring, you need to have an air supply attached to your nose. And most of all need a supervision of a nurse. You are suddenly diagnosed with dying of old age.
So the story goes to two different but at some point similar endings.
Either, you don’t care, because you would say that you are old enough and you had your life, you have done what you wanted to do, and accomplished as much significant things as you wanted. You had happy times as well as sad times in your life time, so you think you are ready to go, and thus you accept the final stages of preparation for “going” or some might prefer, departing.
Or either, the story goes as me and my friend mostly argued last night. You will be pissing in your pants. Oh men, am I really near the departure. I have to do this and that. I have to fix this and meet that person. I love my family, why at this time. I have not done much in my life, can I have one more week so I could finish this ongoing project. Can I have few more days to thank that particular person? Can I have a minute to say to someone I have always loved them, but never did? And when I am gone, how would other people refer to me. What would be the reminder of me in the world, in the next thousand years? Would anything of me, last in this material world?
My answer to my clever friend was not simple, but also was not complete.
He argued that only knowledge that lasts. What would be your answer? Would you be shocked?
Any way, I could not continue my food, but I was not sad, but rather perplex, at two things. Why at this time we are talking about such a topic? And so we get to the point, then what we have gained at this time?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home